Your Ad Here

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Every Cocktail, I Mean Cookie, Has a Mission, Say The Girl Scouts Say

According to the Girl Scouts, that mission is to "To Help Girls Do Great Things."  Well, that seems appropriate, doesn't it?  Liquor Chick Cocktails seek to help women do great things, too, Granted our readership and membership for that matter is a tad bit older (and yes, I saw you, Ms. High School Senior, trying to "like" me on Facebook.  Did you not read the fine print?? You must be legal drinking age to Like me.  Well, maybe your grade level belies you age, or you live in Canada and it's copasetic - let's hope.)

But, for the most part, we Liquor Chicks are not current girl scouts -- unless you count the mom leaders and Cookie Moms. And if you are one of these, then you totally need the recipes in this blog more than the rest of us. I mean, months of preparation, logistics, order taking, money handling, lugging, lifting, sorting, standing outside freezing while hawking -- you've done enough!!  And I bet you, unlike the rest of us don't even want to LOOK at another box of Thin Mints, Caramel deLites (no more Samoa?) or Trefoils [always thought that was an odd name (yes, I know it's a leaf – or I do now –  and a shape name - like the cookie. I just never saw the brainstorming AHA moment in that one.)] 

I don't want to look at another either - but that's because ever since they've been delivered to me 2 short days ago, I have ingested 16 Lemonades (yes that is a WHOLE box), 4 servings of Thin Mints and a whole lot of will power juice NOT to open the freezer and dig into my other favorites.  But they are still there, taunting me, every time I reach past them for the kids' chicken nuggets or the low fat frozen yogurt. I think, Man how good would that ice cream, I mean frozen yogurt be on top of a Peanut Butter Patty!!??

Well, I'll never know, because instead I reached for my cocktail shaker, and here's what I've come up with to remedy the Girl Scout Cookie cravings we either all have - or are sick of indulging in - right about now.  And the best news is that while a serving of Lemonades or Thin Mints has roughly 8 grams of fat, 155 calories and 22 carbs (YIKES!), these fabulous concoctions weigh in at a Liquor Chick worthy 0 grams of fat, 130 calories and fewer than 3 carbs each.  What are you waiting for, start mixing!! And I hope you started infusing that peppermint vodka and peanut rum like I strongly suggested earlier.

So here they are: my 4 favorite Girl Scout Cookies remade as my now 4 favorite drinks.  Let me know if I haven't included your favorite, and I'll be sure to get you that remake as well...

#4 - Thin Mint (I know it's most cookie connoisseurs’ favorite, and I always think I'm going to love it the most, but then every year, I'm left a little flat, thinking, humph I could have gotten away without ordering this one again.  And I don't know, maybe it's me, but this year it tasted a bit more like toothpaste than it has in the past years. Sorry ABC Bakers!) Anyway, I present you the cocktail version of the Thin Mint:

1 ½ oz. Peppermint Infused Vodka

1 ½ oz. Cocoa Bean Infused Vodka

Splash Blue Agave Nectar

Combine all ingredients in shaker over ice.  Shake vigorously and strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with a mint sprig to be fancy…or a junior mint to be a little naughtier. 

 

#3 – Caramel DeLite (Samoa?!).  I love the combination of coconut, chocolate and caramel in this cookie.  I have not opened the box yet, because I know I will be the only one eating from it – not the h-band’s or kiddies’ favorite by any means.  So I will keep it closed, and I will open up the booze instead: (I usually advocate making your own infused vodkas to cut down on calories and carbs, but this Van Gogh Caramel Vodka is pretty hard to replicate – besides it’s only one ounce and we can just shake a little faster to speed up the calorie burn, right?)

1 ½ oz. Cocoa Bean Infused vodka

1 oz. Van Gogh Dutch Caramel Vodka

½ Coconut Milk

Splash Blue Agave Nectar

Combine all ingredients in shaker over ice.  Shake vigorously and strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with shaved coconut – and I always think coconut and pineapples go hand in hand, so add a pineapple wedge too, Besides, this cocktail will take you into summer too – not just cold dark winter when all you want to do is hide away with your cookies. Your bikini will thank you for this little addition – and what the hell, drizzle it with a little (light) chocolate syrup too.

 

#2 Lemonade.  Decadent, refreshing, cakey, icing-y (those are words, right?) – this cookie has it all.  But it doesn’t have enough to be my #1.  Probably because of its newness factor.  I don’t think it’s been around long enough to overtake an old standby of Girl Scout Cookie Stardom.  That’s just my thought.  But this cookie – and drink – is great because you feel like you are doing your waistline a bit of a service with the citrus fruit, and since the box actually says “naturally flavored” (you are NOT, as it also says “…and artificially.”  Gotcha!.) But let’s see what we can do with the drink at least to make it all better:

 

1 ½ oz. Lemon-infused Vodka

1 ½ oz. Light “Bailey’s”

Combine ingredients in shaker over ice.  Shake vigorously and strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with a stevia-covered lemon wheel.

 

#1 Peanut Butter Patty. You probably have already guessed this by now, so I will forego the drumroll (after all you’ve already read about the four boxes I bought from my very lovely Cookie Mom. It was the only one left to be cocktailed. That, plus, if you remember my Halloween Candy Cocktail Entry, you’ll remember the Reese’s Cocktail was an LC must-have too).  But yes, peanut butter, chocolate, crunch – how can you go wrong? Well, if you EAT it, you can – that’s for sure. Who wants to use up the 165 calories and 9 grams of fat, never mind the 20-something carbs if you actually ate the COOKIE.  Don’t do that – do this:

1 oz. Peanut-infused rum

1 oz. Cocoa Bean-infused vodka

1 oz. Light “Bailey’s”

Combine all ingredients in shaker over ice.  Shake vigorously and strain into shaved dark chocolate-rimmed cocktail glass.

 

And there you have it.  So, stay out of your freezer, or your kitchen pantry or snack cabinet.  Reach only into the liquor cabinet and satisfy your Girl Scout Cookie cravings with these low calorie drinks instead.  You’ll not only be doing something great for your waistline, but you’ll also be doing it for all the girlfriends that come over too.  And that’s what Girl Scouts is all about. Great Things for Great Girls – no matter whether they’re Cookie Selling Moms or cookie-regretful moms

1 comment:

  1. Nice! We haven't gotten our cookies yet, but I hope I can have a bit of willpower when they come soon. Can't wait to try some of these recipes! Just did the fit test for P90X on Sunday-still hurting.

    ReplyDelete