Your Ad Here

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Putting Low Carb Drink Mixers to the Liquor Chick Taste-Test, Part I

I have been checking out the low calorie mixed drinks scene for quite some time now. As a bartender I often make (as well am was asked to make) lighter margaritas, cosmopolitans and other flavored martinis. These are one-off's, made on the fly -- yet usually to ravishing reviews. It wasn't hard when I had a top shelf and upscale selection of booze, fresh fruit and my imagination. But I've wondered, could I replicate these in my own home? Better yet, were there any already made low calorie mixers that I could employ both at home, and even at the bar, that would satisfy this obvious hole in the market?

Cue the testing (and by that i mean 'tasting') lab.... I set out to the liquor store with the plan to buy low carb mixers. I was not alone on this very important journey. Yet I am not ashamed to admit that my four year old, Nintendo DS in hand, accompanied me on this trip, because I did not purchase any alcohol. Had she ever been there before, you may ask, on other missions? Well, not to incriminate myself, but she did exclaim when we entered "Oh mommy- we are in the colorful store again!" I don't know, I think she may be confusing Curtis Liquors with the local nail salon, but, irregardless, I met her observation with a casual "Yes I suppose there ARE a lot of colors in here." Never one to admit anything character-flawing.

And when lovey daughter made her way to the checkout counter 10 minutes later with me and knowingly asked where the lollipop basket had gone, I clarified the issue just as knowingly by refuting, more for the staff than my daughter "Why, yessss, this does look just like the bank. You must be confusing this place with that one."

Smarter-than-a-fifth-grader lovey daughter didn't buy it and immediately shot back at me with a know-it-all, correct-your-dumb-mother attitude in her voice that I can only assume she'll continue to perfect well into her adolescence, and scoffed, "Noooowa (I love how one word syllables become three when you're a 'tude strutting female)! We were just AT the BANK - remember?? You said you needed to get money for the WINE store?! THIS wine store!?" Love to be called out by the little princess. But I was righteous today. There was no wine in my carriage. Just a pre-schooler, her stuffed penguin, dirty security blanket and about 15 'Bahama Bob' NONALCOHOLIC mixers. Ha! Take a lollipop, and put it in your lovey mouth, princess.. So we drove off, each of us looking forward to something when we got home. Lovey daughter, a jelly and fluff sandwich for her and her penguins to enjoy. And about eight different varieties of low-carb no-guilt mixed drinks for Mom. But how would they taste? And on marshmallow-tipped fingers, no less? We'd have to wait 'till later into Thirsty Thursday to find that out. And I hoped I could wrestle up some tasting buddies....

No comments:

Post a Comment