Your Ad Here

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Flukey Friday

Two days in a row. Clearly I have convinced you I am serious with this Back to the Blogging effort. Yes, maybe I am trying to make more of a writing name for myself -- after all, I can't "waste my time" bartending forever. I do have corporate websites, newsletters, press releases and the like to get back to. Yes, the 9-to-5 shackles are trying to drag me back into them. Thus far I have done well to resist. But let's face it -- I won't be the tallest, biggest-biceps'ed, blondest bartender forever. Others WILL take my place. But until they do... you gott hear this:

So last night was a usual Friday night - late comers, all expecting their "usuals", their special attention and their perfect pours. Done. That's the easy part. Yet, then they all wanted to take their time, quiz each other on micro-bioilogy flash cards (I kid you not); call their parents and tell them where they were spending their anniversary ("With Jen -- you know, Jen? The bartender at Brady's. Yes, that's right. Okay - sure. Hey, Jen, My dad wants to talk to you. ARE YOU SERIOUS???!!) They all were.

So while we at Brady's were trying to keep the money coming in, shakey as it was, since our SuperStar chef left and started his own restaurant, with the backing of his actual SuperStar sisters. Yes, we got the lesser-known, the inferiority-complexed "famous" sibling. He made a name for himself, no part in thanks to his sisters' presence. They would always stop by the suburbs when they were in the Big City shooting a movie part, or playing a concert, to give their younger, shorter brother some love. And the critics -- and diners alike -- loved this.

But then Celebrity Brother left. People wondered what would become of Brady's. Oh, have no fear, they would tell each other -- the celebrity bartender is still there. (Until she goes back to her Corporate Roots, blogging about button down shirts and three-quarter trench coats.. they'd muse.) No really, the place has done just fine without the quasi-celeb. Until this weekend...

It was pretty quiet for a Friday night. Red Sox - check. Bud Light Lime - check. All the summer stand-by's. But the usually-filled-beyond-capacity bar and patio were strangely light. Could everyone be over trying to celebrity-spy? Surely the sisters would be at their brother's new place, helping him start it off right.

I did have a few, mind you. Though I had no interest in quizzing a 60-year-old on her upcoming science test (really, Jen - she'd do better if YOU asked her the terms. REALLY?! "OH, I wish I were busier!"), I did my best to cater to the ones that showed their staying power, and came to Brady's, though all the hype was surrounding a cooler, hipper, newer place just down the road. No, these nerds were my customers now.

And the callers on the phone. Yes, I had to speak to "Mr. I Am Paying For My Daughter's Anniversary Dinner With Her Husband". I had to take his credit card number, and his instructions, on how to deliver a dessert with a candle and a smile to his deserving daughter. Yes, this is the same Jen who went to college with your daughter, sir. Yes, it's funny that she is on that side of the bar, and I am on this one. But, hey - the corporate world is calling me back.

Well, the Corporate World may be setting its sights on me again. But it won't happen until I entertain a very fun friend tonight -- and she won't ask for candles, credit card numbers, or how tall or old I am. She will sit and enjoy the freak show that is now Brady's. And then we will go get our groove on. And I wonder how many times she will get hit on before the end of my shift. It will be nice to share the conquests for a change -- and the cheesy lines. It's still more exciting than catalog writing and international finance anyway... For now!

No comments:

Post a Comment